Dandelion’s mission is to revolutionize the way people heat and cool their homes using geothermal energy. The Electrical Engineer will bring electrical design knowledge and product development experience to help us advance state of the art equipment in residential geothermal heat pumps. You will be responsible for prototyping, developing and productizing the electrical design of new heat pump products to serve new customer segments, with a focus on designs that lead to high quality, low cost geothermal heat pumps that are simple to install in homes.
The Electrical Engineer will work closely with our Thermal Systems Engineer, Mechanical Engineer and Product team to bring the most promising heat pump concepts to market, furthering our mission to decarbonize homes.
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Lead electrical engineering efforts, providing guidance to the team to meet the product design requirements
- Have expertise in the power/electrical design of refrigeration or heating appliances
- Be well versed in aspects of temperature control and associated on-board sensors as well as programming
- Integrate easily with cross-functional disciplines (mechanical, software, thermal)
- Work flexibly in a small team environment
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Work in a lab environment as needed to build and test prototypes and validate designs
- Support transition of designs to our external manufacturing partner
- BSEE with at least 10 years experience developing thermal appliance equipment (domestic or industrial)
- You have experience in temperature control system design
- You have designed electrical control boards
- You have used ECAD tools for generation of schematics and electrical BOMs for boards as well as panel assemblies
- You are able to work in a lab setting, building test stands and validating designs
- Knowledge/ability to guide the design through all required compliance testing (UL, ETL)
- Controller Software development
- Sensor and signal conditioning circuits
- Design for Testing/Design for Service (DF*) skills
- Household building electrical safety codes and requirements (NFPA, NEC)
Dandelion Energy is an energy innovation company working to electrify home heating. We create and install geothermal heat pumps to replace fossil-fueled furnaces and boilers. Since spinning out of Google X in 2017, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees and have become the largest residential geothermal heat pump installation company in the US. Our carbon impact to date is the equivalent to taking over 25,000 cars off the road, and that impact is accelerating with our growth!
Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts in geothermal, drilling, heat pump and software engineering, HVAC installation, solar and solar financing, behavioral economics, and high-growth operations, among other backgrounds. With the potential to catalyze and scale a widespread transition to sustainable and affordable heating and cooling, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to create a wholesale shift in how people heat and cool their homes — join us!