Reporting to: VP, FP&A
Location: San Francisco
Position Mission: Generate Capital is hiring a Manager, FP&A to support corporate FP&A. Reporting to the VP, FP&A, the mission of this role is to provide sound financial planning and thoughtful analysis that supports strategic decision-making and tells the financial story of Generate Capital.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a high-caliber individual with strong analytical capabilities, superior financial/quantitative horsepower, and a deep interest in Generate’s mission and strategy, to help achieve our financial and business objectives. This person can juggle – and juggle well – managing a variety of stakeholders and projects simultaneously while providing the highest standard of work. This individual will be an experienced finance professional willing and able to roll up their sleeves for hands-on projects that are critical to our success as we rapidly scale our business.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Manager, FP&A
- Work as part of a small (but growing) team as an integral part of FP&A
- Manage, supervise, and support a team of FP&A Analysts/Associates
- Own the month- and quarter-end close process end-to-end, flagging any potential issues/risks through timely variance analysis
- Key contributor providing executives with clear insights into drivers of business growth, risks and opportunities
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with a broad base of stakeholders and serve as a key point of contact for planning and reporting issues
- Collaborate across the organization in managing our financial forecasting process for quarterly estimates, annual budget and our long-range plan
- Manage and organize financial data to enable our team and business partners to move fast
- Identify and drive initiatives to continuously improve, automate and scale forecasting and reporting tools/systems
- Understand systems and data flow; work with Technology team to optimize tools used for financial reporting
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- A demonstrated passion for, or commitment to, our mission
- 10+ years of finance, financial planning and analysis experience with a track record of all-in ownership and delivering impact, including 2+ years of managing people
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, economics or equivalent
- Accountability for financial forecasts, monthly reporting, and variance analysis
- Expertise with financial statement analysis and a knowledge of corporate finance concepts
- Capable of using financial performance data to develop a narrative explaining performance, draw conclusions, and make recommendations to senior management
- Ability to convey complex financial information in a clear and concise manner
- High level of proficiency in building and understanding Excel financial models
- Familiarity with major corporate ERP or EPM systems (Adaptive Insights and Microsoft NAV a big plus)
- SQL experience or willingness to learn
- Detail-oriented and experienced with multi-tasking and shifting priorities quickly under pressure and tight deadlines
- Capable of building trust and fostering a collaborative work environment
- Comfortable working up and down the organization, as well as across teams.
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening as well as strong writing, editing, and basic design skills.
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility, curiosity, and creativity; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk, recognition that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.