At the forefront of farming and food, Upside Foods (formerly Memphis Meats) is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. Upside Foods is a mission-driven company focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
The Senior Research Associate (Process Development) will support the development and scale-up of novel platforms for the cultivation of cell based meat. Under the direction of the Technical Operations team, you will be responsible for executing cell and tissue culture processes and experiments, and characterizing processes and equipment. To accelerate the pace of our learning, this role is expected to routinely shift time from a daytime weekday schedule in order to perform work on weekday evenings, and weekends. This laboratory-based position requires wet-bench work on a daily basis supporting several concurrent projects, with rigorous attention to detail. You will also be responsible for analysis and interpretation of the data, presentation of findings to the Process Development team, and suggestion of follow-up experiments.
We are excited to bring on a diligent self-starter who thrives doing hands-on laboratory work to be part of our growing team.
- Multi-tasking and performing multiple operations within the same day across different platforms.
- Managing schedule and priorities on a daily basis, while working to a timeline.
- Routinely shifting time from a daytime weekday schedule in order to perform work on weekday evenings and weekends.
- Performing sterile cell and tissue culture techniques, including media preparation.
- Performing lab scale (3 L - 36 L) bioreactor operations and cell culture experiments.
- Performing routine maintenance on process equipment.
- Acquiring and analyzing data independently; recording all experimental designs, data, observations, and results in an electronic laboratory notebook
- Summarizing and presenting results to their supervisor and the larger team in an organized, concise, and logical manner, both verbally and visually.
- Drafting reports and SOPs for review by supervisor.
- Communicating with other teams within the company or with outside vendors.
- Maintain process specific inventory of parts and consumables.
- Adhering to and enforcing good lab practices, including safety, cleanliness, and waste handling; takes immediate action to correct any potential safety issues.
- B.S. or M.S. in biopharmaceutical processing, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering or related life sciences field.
- 5 or more years of bioreactor and large scale bioprocess culture experience, preferably in industry, but academic setting considered.
- Working knowledge of basic safety, good laboratory practices and aseptic technique.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Excellent critical thinker.
- Ability and willingness to follow Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to relate with people at all levels within an organization, including diverse cultures.
- Must be comfortable working independently and on a team.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- Comfortable presenting in front of large groups consisting of peers and/or management.
- Thrives in an environment of trust, continuous improvement, and learning.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends on a rotating basis.
- Background with lab scale bioreactor setup, execution, and optimization.
- Experience in data analysis platforms (e.g. JMP, Minitab), including statistical analysis and presenting data in table and graph forms.